Today I’d like to speak about some ways that you can prevent a burglary from happening at your home. It’s not the most fun topic to discuss, but it’s important to know how to protect yourself and your loved ones.
I have six different tips that will help deter potential burglars from targeting your home.
1. Installing a peephole in your door is a very basic, simple way to protect the threshold of your home. It’s also a safe way to check for any suspicious activity.
2. Use extra precaution when locking doors, and you may even want to think about reinforcing them with extra locks. A staggering 40% of burglaries occur through unlocked doors and windows.
3. Make sure to keep your garage doors closed when you’re not around, and always hide your garage door openers. You may not believe it, but people will walk right into your home if they see a garage door that’s sitting wide open.
4. Set up a safety plan for when the unthinkable happens. Instead of panicking, you’ll know to follow the plan that you laid out beforehand. This helps to make a dangerous situation into more of a manageable one.
5. Install a home security system. This will leave you with peace of mind, and in the case that you sell your home, buyers will be pleased to see a security system. This makes protecting your home investment very easy. One thing to remember is that you should always leave the home security system signs in your yard. Potential burglars will see this and turn the other way.
6. Be careful when you’re on vacation. Have someone pick up your mail and your newspapers, and also set a timer for your lights. Beware of posting to social media that you’ve left town, because this will make it extremely apparent that you’re not at home. Only tell your close friends and relatives that you’re leaving, and possibly ask them to watch over your property.
Hopefully these six tips can help prevent any bad situations from arising at your Sacramento home. If you have any related questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me!
As always, refer to me as your resource for real estate in Sacramento!